Saturday, January 10, 2009

The new project

It's winter which means it's time for me to create new things for this summer's craft shows. I really only want to work with license plates these days. And that inspired this new crafty adventure. This is most likely going to lead to many more finger injuries, but I think it is worth it. A coworker and I spent a lot of time trying to get this just right. The day started with a trip to TJ Maxx in hopes of finding an antique barn star to use as a template. Hidden in a dusty corner behind other home junk was a clear plastic bag full of the star's metal pieces. At first I wondered what the hell is this???

After finagling it all together it turned into this beautiful decorative star. I traced over the star to get the correct measurements and angles for my license plates. My tracing was no good so it took the good part of a day to get it right and make a flat jig to use to trace lines onto the plates. After a few hundred reconfigurations, we came up with this...

Decoration or weapon?


I am obsessed with Wyoming license plates.


I heart Cowboy Joe!


I don't know how many of these I will make. They are a bit...well...labor intensive. But pretty awesome once they are done! This first one took 2 people a better part of a day to complete. Of course there are new fangled machines that I could buy that could assemble this in about ten minutes. But that seems like cheating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love it! I like how you kept it as one state too- didn't mix in other states. I swear Lauren- you are always ahead of trends! I can see this one selling well! ;-)
~Jen