Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nikon D700...What the hell?!?!?!

So my fancypants new camera can practically carry itself and take pictures and convert them to Chinese documents that can fly...it can make itself a virtual level...it can record video somehow..and it can put several photos on top of one another to create a new photo...but when I tried out my new camera on my first day of owning it, the results were a bit confusing.

Please see the below sock monkeys. (I got these awesome monkeys in a trade with Diana from sewingmommy.etsy.com. Check her out.)

The confusing part wasn't that a bunch of sock monkeys took up house on our stairs. That's pretty normal in our household. The confusing part is that every damn picture I take with my 17-50mm lens is now fisheye-esque. That black vignetting should not be there. I looked at my Nikon manual, which is about 5 million pages long, and found that vignetting is a common problem with the new fancypants camera. What the hell? So I go through the modes and turn vignetting off. Still all pictures look like this. I called Nikon and I honestly told them the lens is not Nikon, so they say we can't help you, you should be only using overpriced, overweight Nikon lenses. Call Tamron. I haven't called Tamron yet because I hate talking to customer service people who don't want to help and I fear they will just tell me to call Nikon. The sad part is that this used to be my favorite lens. Now it's practically unusable. Unless you are into circular photos, and I'm over that.

3 comments:

John Duimovich said...

The lens you have is a Tamron 17-50 which is a digital format lens (DX in Nikon terms, Di-II for tamron).

If you want to force the D700 to take DX format photos, you can go into the "image area" menu and select the DX format. You don't normally have to do this with Nikon lenses, the camera should auto-select the format but perhaps misses it with your Tamron. Be aware that you will not be using the full sensor, just a cropped piece of it.

Lots to read about FX vs DX on the web - just google FX vs DX.

You will need to look for some full frame lenses for your D700 - if you want the matching Tamron - AF28-75mm F/2.8 would do it.

Anonymous said...

First paragraph from Tamron's product info about this lens:
"Di II: Lenses are designed for exclusive use on digital cameras with smaller-size imagers and inherit all of the benefits of our Di products. These lenses are not designed for conventional cameras and digital cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm."

Lauren said...

John and Anon,

Thanks so much for your help. I have a lot to learn about this fine camera.