Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
When a certain local prestigious university that shall remain nameless asked me to do a freelance job for them, I thought, what a fabulous idea to make some supplemental income.
The space was beautiful, but dark. I tried using my 100 pound tripod for some of the shots, but lugging that around got to be annoying quickly. Most was done hand held at less than 1/30th of a second. I held my breath a lot. And did a little praying that my shaky hands would relax.
I have to get over my fear of tricky lighting. It was nice to be shooting again. This job, while very difficult, switched on part of my brain that has been asleep for ages. Now I am ready to go to Key West with a fresh, clear head ready to shoot pretty things.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
I started with making license plate photo albums like this one...
There is minimal waste left over when I am done putting these together. (Just the stuff left behind from cutting the rivets.)
But then I constructed this last week.
About a quarter of each license plate was left over. I held on to it incase I could use the extra pieces. At first I thought I would make key chains with left over letters or numbers. But instead I used the waste to make license plate star JR.
Now the waste is only about one inch per plate. I could probably make another mini star. Maybe next week.
But for now both stars are together at last. Baby Moma and Jr found a new home.
Or maybe Jr will reside in the kitchen.
I have some dumpster diving to do...
Saturday, January 10, 2009
After finagling it all together it turned into this beautiful decorative star. I traced over the star to get the correct measurements and angles for my license plates. My tracing was no good so it took the good part of a day to get it right and make a flat jig to use to trace lines onto the plates. After a few hundred reconfigurations, we came up with this...
I don't know how many of these I will make. They are a bit...well...labor intensive. But pretty awesome once they are done! This first one took 2 people a better part of a day to complete. Of course there are new fangled machines that I could buy that could assemble this in about ten minutes. But that seems like cheating.