Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nothing spells adventure like dog puke


DISCLAIMER: these photos were not taken with a real camera. I miss my camera. R.I.P. But thanks to the smart phone this entry was possible. Yay for phones that are terrible to make calls from, but great for other things.
*****************

I always say yes to travel. But lately traveling with Claire has proven to be dangerous...at least our adventures always lead to good dramatic stories. Somehow I always end up without pants while Claire drives me to safety. (But she also lead me to The Peril....Hmmmm? I should investigate this.) This trip was no different than the ones that came before. There was salt water down my pants and some dog vomit on the ride to Newport. Who knew Newport could be so damn exciting?!?!?!?!??!?! And all this happened after the "kind" folks at Brooks Brothers wanted to boot us out of the store for looking too homeless. Ahhhh, adventures. 


That there is ma' dawg. She's a hot mess and this is why we are perfect for each other. She looks like the epitome of good health there, right? Wrong. Claire's car would beg to differ. She managed to yarf in the one spot of back seat that was not covered by her "in case she barfs" blanket. Coincidence, or doodle being extra dramatic? She does what she wants. So we pull off the highway, clean out the back seat and continue with our travels. So far we're off to an exciting ride there. Nothing else can happen, right?




I love bridges. Always. 


Check out that doodle shadow on the left! She looks like she shouldn't be messed with. Which is pretty true since at the bottom of these 40 steps she tried to attack a sweet little girl. The excitement continues as I prepare the ad for Neko's Petfinder listing.



I like tunnels too. Not just bridges. (We're approaching the magic hour light, folks.)


I especially love tunnels when they speak to me. *Love* Is* Life*. I may have written it LIFE IS LOVE, but I'm not complaining. Either way, it's a cool find. Newport, you may be interesting after all.


Claire dragged Neko and I on the famous Newport Cliff Walk. Despite the freezing weather and hurricane type winds, we dragged our bums across the 2 miles to the beach, even conquering the hurricane damaged walkway. It wouldn't be a Claire and Lauren adventure without breaking a law. We do what we want.


If only it were summer!


Claire and the doodle navigate the rocks.


I like the way the water is hugging the rock at the top left.

Claire tells me to go check this rock out. It involves some climbing. And I knew I was doomed from the beginning but I am not one to miss a good photo opportunity. I climb this bugger and just when I think I'm in the clear, a rogue wave gets into my pants. Thank you universe. You keep me laughing. And cold. Very cold. 


There are two more miles to walk to get back to the warmth of the car. Son of a...



If you ever want to buy me a house, you can buy one for me here. It was a worth a shot.


So I am pantsless in Claire's car. Good times. But Claire wanted me to get out of the car to take some sunset photos. Conundrum. Coat is soaked too. My pants are warming up on the dashboard and I told her to pull over so I can grab a shot through the car. Pants going back on were not an option at this point. Claire rolls the window down for me just in time for another wave to come and splash us in the car. WTF, universe? We were on a road, in a car...yet still there is salt water coming after us. Mr. McCatty was right back in high school. He told me, "Never turn your back on the ocean." Who knew that little nugget of information would be useful in my 30s? 

You can see the bridge far off in the distance here...Pretty.


I snag some dry fresh pants and head out to this roadside prettiness. I'm not one to say no to a nice sunset. Even when the hypothermia is setting in.


Framing. I know, brilliant. BOOM.


Sunset downtown.



If only it weren't winterish...this would have been a relaxing sight!


I love blue sky as much as I love bridges and tunnels.


Bye, bye Newport! Peace out, girl scouts.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Newport is a magnificent quaint place and must go back in the summer! The next Thelma and Louise adventure should consist of a limited water hazards, finding secret beautiful places, lots of laughs and extra pants.....

Lauren said...

Lauren: Where are we going next?
Claire: The desert!