Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Point & The Plank

These photos are an extra bonus to me. Somehow my memory card allowed them to survive their swim in the Long Island Sound. I put my card into a different camera and ZERO photos showed up. I put the card on my mac and nothing was there. A few minutes later they appeared. I don't know how or why, but I am thankful. All of these are from Old Saybrook, some from The Point and others from Chalker Beach, a neighborhood that took a pretty big hit during Sandy. I was only there a few minutes before I fell into and became one with the Long Island Sound. I didn't really get to explore the 'hood as I had wished. Nevertheless, these photos survived, so yay. =)

This carving is at my family's little inn by the water. Some of the pilings have been carved into shoreline animals.  


Disaster tourists (of which I am a part of so I am not being judgey) come to check out what happened to our marina. The surge actually rolled in on top of our stationary docks. 


Some sea junk piles up in one of the boat spaces. Thank goodness the storm arrived when the marina was empty.


Scary junk with nails and a little girl's shoe floating around...

                                       

Would you like some ice with that? It's not every day you see an ice machine floating in the Sound.

 Some context.


The bridge that joined the outside dock together with the main dock is no more.



On the bright side, it could make a good water slide now.


Yikes.



So, people won't be walking on the outer dock any time soon...


The main dock leading to the lighthouse sustained some damage, too.


My dad said this floating concrete thing was supposed to protect the marina from storms. It is now resting on its side. 


The lighthouse still stands! The toothfairy (grandpa) paid me many visits there!


More dock damage.


My favorite photo from the day, one not of destruction, taken during the magic hour. =)


This is all that remains of a pretty strong reinforced cement bench! Now we can see why this part of town had a mandatory evacuation. 


The mini golf business at The Point took a pretty big hit as well. I spent a lot of time playing there as a wee one. The rest of the building was washed away; all that remains is a microwave under its roof.



Not a typical sight at The Point...


Still standing...

Residents on Chalker Beach lost the back sides of their homes.


Look how close the water is a week later!!


Ah, the sea wall of doom. I walked out on this stupid thing, slipped on slime and then wrestled with that submerged tree there on the left as I tried to get out. Silly, silly, silly.



Rest in peace my Nikon D700. You were loved. (I'm not totally giving up on you yet, just because you refuse to turn on and do anything useful. You may end up being one excellent paper weight!)



Delirious. But I learned something useful. When you fall into the sea wearing a fleece jacket, it keeps your shoulders completely dry! Now you know. You're welcome. (Thank you to Claire for these photos.) I call this one "baptism." 



My sister seemed to really enjoy this, despite having to witness my stripping down to my skivvies in public, much to her horror. =)


4 comments:

scoop said...

Ah Lauren, I love living vicariously through you. Great photos, and I'm so glad you're ok!

Lauren said...

Who are you, scoop? =)

Unknown said...

This day will be a memory for random crazy events, one minute you were there.... then gone....ahhhhh Melissa... she's in the sound....

Lauren said...

Ha, and thanks to both of you for just watching... =)