Wednesday, June 18, 2008

travel bug








Dear my 2 blog readers,

Sorry I have been falling behind with a photo a day blog project. I will try to be better about it as my trip gets nearer. I leave for Africa June 27th, and I am so excited that I am chewing my cheeks open in my sleep. Seriously, I can't close my jaw without eating more of my cheeks.

To get psyched for the 2 days of flying I am about to experience, I am going to post travel photos to get my inspirational juices flowing. I'll be photographing the "Warm Heart of Africa" otherwise known as Malawi. It's a country most people have never heard of. Or they heard of it because Madonna adopted a child there. The average life expentancy is about 43 years. About half the population has AIDS. Over half a million children are orphaned because of AIDS. It's not quite a vacation so much as a huge learning experience. I will spend most of my time photographing children who lost parents to AIDS, and kids who can't go to school because they don't own pencils. I imagine it's going to be a pretty emotional time for me, but I hope to come home with a new sense of hope and desire to change my life. It's time to start thinking about a job that helps people. I always thought I would do something worthwhile as a career. I'm not quite sure if overcharging people for apartments is the type of "helping people" I dreamed of as a young lass at Choate. (That's a shout out to Sara.)

I'm sure I'll have more to say about Malawi when I am back.

For now you will have to accept some photos from my past travels. Here are some from the land of Oz and Guatemala.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love these shots, pants. makes me realize what an amazing experience guatemala was, and that i should remember that instead of how hard it was.

i can't wait to see the africa shots. wish i could go with you.

Frau Zinnie said...

I can't wait to see what you come back with either! :) This sounds life changing!